By 2020, 40 percent of the workforce won’t want to be your employee. That means managers and executives have to forget the traditional methods to acquire talent and revise the perception that “talent” is only full-time employees.
Navigating the Talent Shift, introduces you to SPEEDTM: a fast and flexible talent strategy that shows you how to access the 65 million people that make up the on-demand, specialized talent pool. This book explains how to:
- Stop spending months searching for talent
- Have a team of on-demand talent at your fingertips
- Exponentially expand your talent pool
- Test ideas and change direction fast to stay competitive and drive innovation
- Reduce severance and layoffs
- Bring a fresh perspective with strategic doers on your team
- Do more with less
- Navigating the Talent Shift will show you and your team how to tap into an on-demand workforce, while providing you with the talent you need to be nimble and successful
—Caitlin Angeloff, Head of Global Social Strategy & Operations, DocuSign
—Scott Dawson, Dean, Orfalea College of Business, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
1. Navigating the Shifts in the On-Demand Workplace
The workforce shift that’s driven by a changing global business environment, a highly competitive marketplace that features hyper-specialization, project-based work, and a talent pool that aspires to–and indeed demands–flexibility. A variety of economic, technological and cultural factors drives this dynamic shift. The chapter examines three major trends that have converged to shape where we are: the coming of age of millennials, the Baby Boomers’ impact on the workforce, and the trend that will impact about 40 percent of U.S. workers by 2020, the freelance “1099 economy.”
2. The Changing Face of Talent
This chapter delves deeper into the changing face of talent with a focus on the critical things talent wants. On-demand talent works in a variety of different industries and companies, while taking on many roles. Talent values flexibility; high value work and problem solving; autonomy and respect; and to make a difference.
3. The Speed Solution
Introduces the book’s centerpiece: the SPEEDTM talent strategy that enables managers to build flexible, project-based teams that get results. SPEED provides an agile and flexible framework for building on-demand teams and it also provides the ability to adapt to unanticipated business changes.
4. Build Your On-Demand Team
This chapter provides a deep-dive into using the SPEEDTM strategy, which encompasses the best practices that I have learned, observed and implemented in hundreds of projects with every type of cost, management and operational situation.
5. Overcoming Roadblocks and Perceptions
Described are some common roadblocks that companies may encounter when integrating SPEEDTM within their organizations, and how to overcome them. I see roadblocks every day — whether it is mindset, organizational, structural, procedural, or political — and they can all be resolved.
The final three chapters feature real-world stories that show how companies have creatively used on-demand talent to drive innovation, control costs and get results.
- 6. A Start-up within a Corporation
- 7. An Innovative Idea that Launched a $100 Million Business
- 8. Orchestrating a Global Transformation with On-Demand Experts